State Trust Land & Permits

State Land Department (Recreational Permit)

Arizona State Land DepartmentArizona State Trust Lands are not public lands. The OHV decal allows vehicles to cross Trust Lands and operate on existing roads and trails only. A recreation permit is required for all other uses such as hiking, camping, picnicking, and leaving a staging vehicle on State Trust Lands. A permit is not required to travel on county maintained dirt roads or routes with access easements. For complete information on the recreation permit and its requirements, please visit

Permits are valid for one year from the date of purchase. Permits are subject to certain terms and conditions. Some of these include: vehicles may not be operated within ¼ mile of any building or stock tank; you must leave gates as you found them, whether open or closed. Restrictions apply. State land may be leased for grazing, commercial, or agricultural use. When recreating on State Trust lands, please follow the rules and keep in mind that someone else is making a living from that land.

Details on the ASLD recreation Permit

Download Trails on Trust Land Information (PDF Document 335 KB PDF)

Bulldog Canyon on the Tonto National Forest

USFSA permit is required to enter Bulldog Canyon OHV Area which is near Mesa, Arizona.
The free permit may be obtained from the Mesa Ranger District (USFS) at 5140 E. Ingram Street, Mesa, AZ 85205, (480) 610-3300. Hours: Monday through Friday 8 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. External Link PDF Document

Hunting (Arizona Game & Fish) 

AZ Game & FishPersons actively hunting with a valid hunting license (available from Arizona Game & Fish External Link) may ride on established roads and trails on Arizona State Trust Land without an Arizona State Trust Recreational Permit. Scouting and other recreational activities require the permit. All other hunting questions should be directed toArizona Game & Fish. External Link

No one may use a motor vehicle to assist in the taking of wildlife (A.R.S. 17-301b). An off-highway vehicle may only be used as a means of travel. It is unlawful to shoot from any OHV. It is unlawful to shoot across, near or from any railroad or roadway.

Cross-country travel is not allowed in most areas. Some areas, including Bureau of Land Management lands, do NOT allow motorized vehicle to travel off of trails or roads to pick up legally taken game (only foot access is allowed). If cross-country travel is authorized, do so with such care so that your use is low-impact and will not be viewed as a new road by other users.    

Camino del Diablo/Area A/Goldwater Range

Stay on trails! No rough riding. Located in the southwestern part of Arizona, the Barry Goldwater Range requires a free access permit for entry.

The permits are issued at:

  • Range Management Department – Yuma (928) 269-2458
  • Gila Bend Air Force Auxiliary Field/Security Operations – Gila Bend (928) 683-6200  or (928) 683-6220
  • 56th Range Management/Public Affairs – Luke Air Force Base (623) 856-8516
  • Bureau of Land Management – Phoenix Field Office (623) 580-5500
  • Information Center of the State Office (BLM) – Phoenix (602) 417-9300
  • Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge – Ajo (520) 387-6483

The permit is free but you must view an informational video before obtaining the permit. All adults entering the Range must have a permit and call ahead for instructions.

BLM Permitted Areas 

BLMSand Tank Mountains on the Sonoran Desert National Monument require the free Barry Goldwater Range permit issued at Explore Arizona Outdoor Information in Phoenix.

Four-wheel-drive vehicles are recommended. All vehicles, including all-terrain vehicles, must be highway legal and licensed and are restricted to established roads only. Owners/drivers of vehicles found further than 50 feet from the road or traveling on unauthorized trails or washes will be escorted off the range and have their visitation privilege revoked.

Please refer to the Map of the Sonoran Desert National Monument (PDF Document 829 KB PDF) for site location clarification.

The triangular shaped, pink cross-hatched area labeled "Area A" is also the Sand Tank Mountains. It was formerly a part of the Goldwater Range, was re-conveyed to BLM in 2000, and subsequently became a part of the SDNM in 2001. By law, the Department of Defense retains partial jurisdiction over access to Area A due to concerns for unexploded ordinance. This is why there is a requirement to view the video and to obtain an access permit. The same concern (and therefore the same access process) pertains to the Goldwater Range and Cabeza Prieta NWR.

Call (602) 417-9300 for information and hours. The permit is free but you must view an informational video before obtaining the permit. All adults entering the Range must have a permit. See list above for other locations where you may obtain a permit.

To obtain a travel map for the area in which you wish to ride or for books and information about Arizona’s public lands, call the Information Center of the State Office at (602) 417-9300.

Private Property

Many dirt roads that you ride or drive on cross private property. Always respect private property. Ask for permission before you ride on private land. Do not trespass. There can be civil and criminal penalties for violating trespass laws.

Indian Reservations

While several tribes provide excellent recreational opportunities, all travel in reservations is restricted to public roads unless you have a permit from the particular tribe. For a listing of tribal government contact information, visit theArizona Commission of Indian Affairs External Link website.

Before you ride or drive, always contact the appropriate land manager to check on route closures, fire danger, local conditions, special permits/permission, OHV policy, and maps of route and area information.

Call Before You Go!

Each agency which manages public land has its own rules, regulations and laws. Before using public or state lands, check with the local land management agency office about current rules and requirements. Learn more about Call Before You Go (Ambassadors)

Top of Page (Top)     OHV Registration(Where to Ride)